Deciding to go on trial
Congratulations! We're excited for your family that you have decided to take one of our dogs for the two week trial to see how they fit into your family.
Bits & bobs
Here is some material things that you should have before you start your trial:
- Food & water bowl
- At least 2kg of large breed dry kibble (we reccomend a mid brand like Optimum or Advance)
- A quiet area for your dog
- Extra poo bags
- a collar/harness, lead and muzzle
- intestinal worming, flea and heartworm treat
- a dog blanket and bedding from the foster home
- some food to transition to the new brand of food
- the greyhound would already have flea and heartworm cover
As your dog goes on trial, we ask that you care for the greyhound like it would in foster:
- The greyhound should never be allowed to run unleashed except in a fully fenced, secure area.
- Cruelty or neglect of the greyhound is a serious offence.
- Have the greyhound solely as a domesticated house pet.
- Contact us immediately if the greyhound is in any medical duress.
- Be understanding of any existing behavioural quirks the greyhound might have.
- Have a watchful adult around when there are children around the greyhound.
- GRANT will cover medical bills for any existing medical issues while on trial, until adoption contract is signed.
- Existing medication that should administered during the trial period.
Important contact details
For veterinary/health questions and emergencies
For foster, adoption and general enquires
Grant Veterinary Practices
Darwin - MyVet Service
2/5 Wulagi Place, Wulagi, 8927 3657
Palmerston - University Ave Vet Hospital
66 University Ave Durack, Palmerston, 8931 0455
End of trial
You may return the greyhound before the end of the trial, and we request some feedback about the issue so that we can address them. Please feel free to contact us at anytime!
But if all is well, at the end of two weeks we will check in again to see how the greyhound and you are going. From here you can:
Fantastic! We will draw up the paperwork and invoice for you to sign and pay and you will officially be the greyhound's new family.
No obligations: if you feel that the greyhound is not the right fit for your home or want to trial a different greyhound.